The Wind And The Lion

The Wind And The Lion
German gunners range in on the U.S. Marines as they cross the vill. Figures are Old Glory German Sea Battalion conversions. Archway by Miniature Building Authority.

Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Яussian Colonial Artillery Limber by Askari Miniatures

                                                                       



I've always wanted to build a Russian colonial force for use in Central Asia, the Boxer Rebellion, as well as what if's in Afghanistan, Australia, Japan, and elsewhere... For starters my Russians are engaged in a NWF campaign invading south from Bukhara into Chitral Territory as being recoded on The Lead Adventure Forum - Never Trust Anyone On The Frontier NWF Campaign and where I entered this campaign on my blog.

I love to research the units, uniforms, battles, commanders, etc. Whenever I decide to build an Army I usually buy figures from every manufacturer who produces the ones I need or that I can use for the period or battles in question. For this project I started with Askari Miniatures and Eureka Miniatures. 

For this blog post I'm going to focus on the Russian Artillery Limber made by Askari Miniatures (Russian Limber). I love Al's Limbers and guns. The quality is top notch, the castings clean, and all the items are thoroughly researched. These products are quite possibly the best guns and limbers on the market in this scale.


From the Askari website:

While the other Great Powers participated in the "Scramble for Africa" in the late 19th century, the Russians   advanced eastward and southward into the Caucasus and Central Asia.

The armies of the Caucasus and Turkestan became the sources of military innovation for the rest of the army.

Our Russian figures represent the army that conquered Turkestan in the 1860s and 1870s. Their uniquely Russian-style uniforms became general issue throughout the army. Thus, sometimes with a change of color, these figures can be used for the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78, also known as the Bulgarian War of Independence.


                   Russian limber mechanical drawing   


                        Russian Limber (A-10p)





Russian limber and the A-8 Russian 4lb gun (A-8-A-10p)


                                                 
                                                                                       
             The limber with a six-horse team (A-10&6horses)
                                                                                             


My limber in progress on my work bench. 








The limber I received had a long limber pole for a full 6 horse team. I cut it in half to use for 4 horses on 2 separate stands of 2 horses each. I intend to build a second limber with 4 horses harnessed in 2 pairs on one stand. Here’s the limber on my bench being completed for a campaign game being run at HurriCon-22  in Orlando / Kissimmee the following weekend. 



The model came very clean with minor flash.The parts fit together well and are sturdy. 



I didn't use Al's horses only because as a buddy of mine gave me his extras he wasn't going to use.


Here is the Askari 4LB Gun and Limber in action facing British troops on the Northwest Frontier. 





No comments:

Post a Comment