The Wind And The Lion

The Wind And The Lion
German gunners range in on the U.S. Marines as they cross the vill. Figures are Old Glory German Sea Battalion conversions. Archway by Miniature Building Authority.

Monday, October 3, 2022

Russian Officers- Central Asia 1860-1890

 


Central Asia 1860’s -1890, Russian Commanders survey the battlefield. 



The Russians have crossed the frontier and are headed towards the Chitral Territory to stop the Anglo-Indian force headed to lift the siege of Chitral Fort. 


                                   5 April, 1891.

This is part of our ongoing NWF Campaign, as can be followed on the Lead Adventure Forum, aka LAF: Never Trust Anyone on the Frontier .



These figs are not originally Russians, nor are they our time period, however I painted them up as Russians as requested by my friend Bob for our LAF campaign. They are from the Wargames Foundry Napoleonic Prussian command set. I think they work rather well for these 1860-1890 Russian commanders. I did not paint the horses though, I only painted the riders. Bob did a great job mounting, basing, and photographing these. 


I don’t know what range this figure came from but it’s awesome. I painted him up as a Central Asian commander for Bob’s khanate or Pathan tribesmen. 



Here’s a Cossack character fig to lead one of Bob’s Cossack troops. 

The officer with the map is my favorite. I was going to paint some semblance of a map, but every time I’ve tried that in the past it just came out looking cartoonish. I decided I’d use a cool typographical map that I found on line for this mini, reduce it, and glue to the map in the miniature’s hands  I think it came out rather well. Here are some WIP pics.

                                    Hussar Officer





                               Khanate Leader

                   Russian infantry brigade commander










I reduced the map doc, printed it, and cut a piece the correct width but made it longer to wrap around the casted map to be able to fold it underneath. With a glue and water mix I fixed the paper to the figure and used rubber tipped sculpting tools to work it into place and around the fingers and hands. I’m very pleased with the results, however in the future I would make the map a bit darker to show up better. If you zoom in you can see the map details.




References gathered from across the web:

















2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it to the convention to join in your game - hope it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, thank you, I really took a lot of time on these as they weren't for my collection so I wanted them to be as good as I could manage to paint these days.

    Yes, it was a good con and my game was fun, sorry you missed it. I will either run this one at the club house or the next battle that occurs in the campaign based on the map movements.

    Thanks for looking and taking the time to post!

    Cheers,
    JB

    ReplyDelete