The Wind And The Lion

The Wind And The Lion
German gunners range in on the U.S. Marines as they cross the vill. Figures are Old Glory German Sea Battalion conversions. Archway by Miniature Building Authority.

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Goodbye my friend....Rob Hall


It is with great sadness that I must advise of the passing of a close friend and club mate Mr. Rob Hall who left us this past Friday (1/31/20) late afternoon. He had been battling liver cancer for the past few months after successfully coming back from a stroke a few years ago. Rob was a good friend, a good person, and a great guy to game with. He was an avid gamer and historian who loved the horse and musket period. He worked for the railroad the majority of his adult life. I will surly miss him, his dry humor and wry wit. We will cherish the many memories of epic games, road trips, fun cons, Tajicon games, and the camaraderie of SMG games in Bill's Garage.
Rob was the kind of guy that would literally give you the shirt off his back, A kind, funny, unselfish, warm soul who was a pleasure to be around. He was always willing to help with a project, assist in running games and loved to be around his friends talking history and gaming. I don't think I'd ever heard him utter a negative word about anyone.

Below are just a few of the many comments I'd received when I posted the notice of Rob's passing to our SMG club mates ( the South-Florida Miniature Gamers). He was also a member of HMGS-South, HMGS-East, and the Jacksonville Garrison. He will be missed by many.

Rest in Peace my friend.....





I count Rob among my true friends. Rob gamed with our group in South Florida even though he had to drive all the way from Jacksonville. He always arrived at our home with a bottle of wine for Barbara and a bottle of scotch for me. He was always invited to stay, but always booked a hotel as he did not want us to be disturbed by his snoring. Rob accompanied me to Historicon, Cold Wars and Fall In countless times. He assisted me in running my games for many years at these conventions and both Recon and Hurricon. I drove up to Jacksonville, and stayed with he and his wife Robin prior to leaving for Lancaster, PA or other parts North.  He was always a pleasure to be around. Rob leaves a huge empty spot in our gaming community. My friend Vince and I were able to visit Rob a few weeks ago. He was still hoping to get in one more "big game" before he left us. I hope to have the opportunity to raise a glass in his honor at Recon as a group. He is truly missed.
Bill Moreno


Good times and great memories of our friend Rob.  Thank you Vince for being there for us. 

Tim Harwood


So typical of Rob to not let on the issues he was having.  Always the gentleman he made it a point each convention to seek me out and let me know how much he enjoyed the efforts and the convention.  For me the comradeship we enjoy is over half the fun.  I will truly miss Rob.  I have the feeling we have one heck of a great convention brewing in heaven.  

Marc R



Well said Jeff.  Rob was one of the good guys.  And a lot of fun to be around for his love of history and the game.  R/ Jim


He will be missed. We were blessed with his presence for too short of a time, in our gaming club.

Duane Cunningham




Dear Jeff and All Wargamers:

A true loss – an absolute gentleman and raconteur; we will all miss his entertaining dry wit.

Bill Mcintyre






1 comment: